happy birthday to me

i love my birthday (which just happens to be today)!

i always have.

a lot of people don’t, and that’s sad. i think it’s for two reasons.

first, i think it’s because of our obsession with youthfulness. nobody wants to get old. but as they say, it’s beats the alternative (though not exactly true for those bound for eternity in heaven. just sayin’).

but the fear or aversion to growing old isn’t biblical. listen to what God says…

gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained by living a godly life

– proverbs 16.31

the glory of the young is their strength; the gray hair of experience is the splendor of the old

– proverbs 20.29

getting older isn’t just a fact of life, it’s an important part of life. strength has an important part to play in our lives when we are young, and wisdom is important as we grow older. most of us had older people to look up to and to be mentored by as we were growing up. as we grow older, it’s our turn to step into the role of mentor. recently, i have found myself in a mentoring role for a number of younger men, like never before. and i consider it an honor and gift from God to be considered wise enough to have anything of value to say.

but there’s another, sadder reason people don’t want to celebrate their birthdays – they don’t want anyone to make a fuss over them.

are you kidding me??? i love it! fuss away! and why not? God sure does make a fuss (am i sounding really southern right now?) over us.

check this out…

for the Lord your God is living among you. he is a mighty Savior. he will take delight in you with gladness… he will rejoice over you with joyful songs.

– zephaniah 3.17

and this…

o Lord…

you made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb.

thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!

your workmanship is marvelous – how well i know it.

you watched me as i was being formed in utter seclusion,

as i was woven together in the dark of the womb.

you saw me before i was born.

every day of my life was recorded in your book.

every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.

how precious are your thoughts about me, o God.

they cannot be numbered!

i can’t even count them: they outnumber the grains of sand!

– psalm 139.13-18

know what that means? it means God is celebrating my birthday – and not only that, but he celebrates over me every single day! i am special to him, precious to him, important to him.

as max lucado says, if God has a fridge, my picture is on it!

so yes, i love my birthday!

you oughtta love yours, too. you oughtta know how very much God loves you and celebrates your very existence.

bet now you can’t wait for your birthday to get here, can you?

glad i don’t have to!

14 Responses to happy birthday to me

1. Howard Nifong says:

Happy Birthday Brother!!!

2. becky says:

Great reminder!
    I don’t care about getting older; and I love the Proverbs verse about the gray hair. That’s why I don’t color my hair… haha!
    I do have a VERY hard time letting people make a fuss over me, and am glad I’ll be recovering from my c-section in the hospital this year, since it’s a “biggie” birthday. Kinda hard to throw a big party of some sort in the hospital around a newborn!

Hope you have a fantastic day! So blessed to have you in our lives.

3. Keith says:

Happy Birthday Jeff..
    I wish you many more…and I hope you Love every one of them

4. Lynn says:

Happy Birthday, Jeff!!

Birthdays are wonderful…a great start to a new adventure every year. I hope this year is full of wonderful adventures for you.

I, too, love my birthday. I’m so blessed to have made it this far. We are also blessed to have you among us to bring us thought provoking messages each week.

5. Ray says:

Happy Birthday Jeff !!! Enjoy the FUSS…you deserve it !!! (I enjoy the fuss too). You and I know we get wiser as we get older and God tells us we get wiser as evidenced by the verses above but when do our kids realize it?

6. Gloria Smith says:

Happy Birthday Jeff!!
    Have a great day and an awesome year!

7. Alan says:

happy b-day neighbor! Every year we live is a blessing 🙂

8. Sherri says:

Today is my birthday too! You don’t get all the glory (selfish), AND I am old today – and love it.

9. Jane says:

Happy Birthday!! I too love my birthday and totally agree with the purpose of God and His fussing over us. The grey hair makes much more sense now biblically as I’ve been grey for many years and more unexpected experience than I can even fathom.

Thank you for loving all of us so very well and holding us to His word. I praise our God for you and the marvel of His plan and all those He places us so perfectly. You are one of those perfectly placed pieces and I’m blessed to call you shepherd of our flock! Happy Happy Birthday

10. Ryan says:

Happy Birthday Pastor Jeff, that’s a great verse about grey hair, does the Bible say anything about loosing your hair? Have a Wonderful day!

11. gigi says:

a very happy bd to my first-born. luvya so much!
    mama jan

12. The Grossman Family says:

A very Happy Birthday to you today!

13. Joe says:

That quote by Max Lucado is pure genius. If God has a fridge, my picture is on it. Priceless.

14. Steve says:

Hey – Happy Birthday, Jeff! Great perspective.